On The Fence: Jumpsuits

Elvis in one of his signature jumpsuits

Okay, so here's the deal... Lately, I've been hung up on the idea of a jumpsuit. Now, usually I'm pretty open to new ideas and my personal style is far from conservative. But jumpsuits? I'm starting to seriously doubt my own sanity.

Usually reserved for infants, fighter pilots and prisoners, the jumpsuit is not something you're usually confronted with on an everyday basis, unless you live in Vegas. They're often baggy, ill-fitting garments whose sole purpose is to be easily put on and protect the clothes underneath. So am I alone in my crazy belief that maybe it's possible to incorporate it in a serious outfit, and not only make it work but even look good too?

Other's have obviously toyed with the idea before, including Duckie Brown, Kim Jones, Dolce & Gabbana, and more recently A.P.C. and Raf Simons, all with their own, personal take on them. Adam Kimmel has turned it into something of a signature piece of his. Clearly I'm not the first one, and still it hasn't gained any popularity. This is probably because it's such a hard piece to pull of and naturally incorporate it in your wardrobe.

How should it be worn then? In order to make it work I think you either have to make it blend in to the outfit by layering it with a waistcoat, or a cardigan or something, or go the other way and use it more like outerwear, like Etro did. As for the Elvis-style, don't even go there. Myself, I think I'm gonna lay low with the jump suits for now but I can't deny I'm still curiously fascinated with the concept. What do you think?

Jean-Paul Gaultier Fall 05

Etro Fall 05

Raf Simons Spring 09

2 comments:

  1. I think your lost your mind, dude! Plead temporary insanity and repent. The first picture (not elvis) looks like he's the captain of Enterprise, second looks like a baby's jumpsuit although I see what you mean with the shirt under and stuff.

    Only one I like is the last one. Think I saw it online somewhere, discounted because of runway use.. Don't remember where, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with M, although I think you've already guessed that.

    Must confess I'm starting to get intrigued by the concept too though..

    ReplyDelete